An English vocabulary lesson on the theme of IDEAS and BELIEFS. For upper intermediate and advanced learners. https://www.skype-lessons.com/vocabulary-lessons/
Please answer the following questions to activate the vocabulary:
1) Do you believe in an afterlife? What kind of evidence adds credence to this idea?
2) What are the main tenets of liberal democracy?
3) Do you adhere to any well known religions or philosophies? Which ones?
4) Do you tend to defer to the experts' opinion?
5) Are there any widespread beliefs which you find implausible? On which erroneous assumptions are they based?
6) Are you prejudiced? Which groups do you discriminate against?
to adhere to (an adherent of)
to believe in
to assume (make an assumption)
to convert to
fanatics / radicals
postulates / tenets
give/lend/add credence to
give s.o the benefit of the doubt
to discriminate against
to put (get) across
to put forward an idea
to talk s.o round / into / out of
to weigh s.t up
to point out
to take in
to run ideas by s.o
to side with / against
to come out in favour of
to come out against
to stand for / against
to stand up for / up against
to stick by
to cheer on
to egg on
to defer to the experts
to cave in to demands / public opinion
Loads more lessons and quizzes are on my websitehttps://www.skype-lessons.com/online-english-lessons/