The ornamental plant and flower industry in the UK is worth more than £1 billion a year, making it a viable business opportunity for landowners and farmers interested in diversification to explore.
However, for those keen to diversify – or new entrants aiming to start an ornamental nursery – there are lots of things to consider: How much land will I need? What plants should I grow? Should I use a polytunnel or a glasshouse?...
All these questions and much more are covered in this short film, where growers and others working in the Welsh horticulture industry share their years – and in many cases decades – of knowledge and experience. The film features practical advice about some of the real basics involved in getting started, plus some more technical guidance to help growers develop their nursery business.
The film asks:
- How do you get started?
- What infrastructure issues will you need to consider?
- What will your costs be?
- How can you reduce your costs?
- How much time do you need?
- How can you learn about growing ornamentals?
- What will you grow?
- What are the challenges?
- Any other issues or challenges to consider?
- What are the opportunities for growth & development?http://www.horticulturewales.co.uk