In this video I demonstrate how to insert an indwelling Foley catheter on a male patient. I also discuss how to discontinue a catheter and provide sample documentation. This is a fundamental nursing skill.
Follow along and study by answering these questions.
1. What are the first 3 things we always do before we do skill?
2. Who might not be able to bend their knees?
3. What are standard catheter sizes for adults?
4. How do you know how far to insert the catheter?
5. Why might you encounter resistance when inserting the tubing?
6. Why don’t we want the tube under the patient’s leg?
7. Where are the two places that tell us the size of the catheter?
Got a video request? Let me know in the comments below.
WHAT TO WATCH NEXT?
o Female Foley Catheter https://youtu.be/Il0iJUNnq7k
o Trach Care https://youtu.be/aO1vZvDpE7o
o Trach Suctioning https://youtu.be/7GobrbSC6oo
o PPE https://youtu.be/lsoVrJcioFA
* The information in this video is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content, including text, graphics, images, and information, contained in this video is for general information purposes only and does not replace a consultation with your own doctor/health professional *