More on the evaluation of neck and back pain: http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/musculoskeletal-and-connective-tissue-disorders/neck-and-back-pain/evaluation-of-neck-and-back-pain
How to examine the neck, including the following:
• Inspection (from behind and in front) to identify muscle atrophy (eg, of trapezius and spinal muscles) and other abnormalities
• Range of motion testing (including flexion, extension, rotation, and lateral bending)
• The Spurling maneuver
About the Merck Manuals:
First published in 1899 as a small reference book for physicians and pharmacists, The Merck Manual grew in size and scope to become one of the world's most widely used comprehensive medical resources for professionals and consumers. As The Manual evolved, it continually expanded the reach and depth of its offerings to reflect the mission of providing the best medical information to a wide cross-section of users, including medical professionals and students, veterinarians and veterinary students, and consumers.
• Merck Manual Professional Version: http://www.MerckManual.com/Professional
• Facebook for Professionals: http://www.Facebook.com/MerckManualUS
• Twitter for Professionals: http://www.Twitter.com/MerckManualPro
Examination demonstrated by Paul Liebert, MD, Tomah Memorial Hospital.